When it gets cold, you want a for flavorful, warm dessert. This applesauce cake delivers and I promise it will keep you warm this winter!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup walnuts (optional), toasted (see Tips), cooled, and chopped
- 5 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle. Butter an 8- or 9-inch square cake pan.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- Beat butter, brown sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer at high speed until pale and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, then beat in applesauce.
- At low speed, mix in flour mixture until just combined, then stir in walnuts (if using).
- Spread batter evenly in pan and bake until golden-brown and a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Cool in pan 15 minutes. Run a knife around edge of cake to loosen, then invert onto a plate. Reinvert cake onto a rack to cool completely.
- Beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla with an electric mixer at high speed until fluffy.
- Sift confectioners sugar and cinnamon over cream cheese mixture, then beat at medium speed until incorporated. Spread frosting over top of cooled cake.