Everyone says that everything is better with Circle B Ranch Hickory Smoked Bacon. I can tell you that Brussel Sprouts definitely are!
This recipe is from the cookbook “Bacon Nation” that June Kirsch gave me.
- 6 slices of Circle B Ranch Hickory Smoked Bacon
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 lbs of Brussel Sprouts, trimmed and cut in half
- 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2″ dice
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- Pinch of sugar
- Freshly ground white pepper
- Cut the bacon into 1/2 inch pieces and render down until crispy. Stir often and adjusting the heat as necessary. Remove the bacon to paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Bring a medium size pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the salt and brussel sprouts and blanch them for about 2 minutes. Drain and shock them with cold water. Drain the brussel sprouts.
- Melt 1 1/2 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the brussel sprouts cut side down. Cook them without moving until the bottom turns a brownish gold, about 2 minutes. Stir the sprouts and continue cooking for about 3-4 minutes longer. Transfer the brussel sprouts to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter and the apple to the skillet. Cook the apple over medium high heat until the apple softens and lightly browns about 2 minutes. Transfer the apple to a bowl and set aside.
- Place the skillet over medium heat and add the brussel sprouts, bacon, white wine vinegar and sugar. Season with white pepper. Cook until the vinegar steams off, which happens quickly. Return the apple to the skillet and mix gently until off of the ingredients are heated through about 2 minutes. Enjoy!!