Apples were so great this year. I bought so many apples that I wanted to try out different recipes. Apple Kuchen Bars sounded so good. Let me tell you they do not look beautiful…but what they lack in looks they pack in flavor. We usually give our desserts to our farm hands or my daughter takes them to work…but this one we did not share. I know..selfish. Make this recipe and I promise you will do the same.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1–1/2 cups cold butter, divided
- 4 to 5 tablespoons ice water
- 8 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 8 medium)
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place 2 cups flour and salt in a food processor; pulse until blended.
- Add 1 cup butter; pulse until butter is the size of peas. While pulsing, add just enough ice water to form moist crumbs.
- Press mixture onto bottom a greased 13×9-in. baking pan.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, combine apples, 1 cup sugar and cinnamon; toss to coat. Spoon over crust.
- Place remaining flour, butter and sugar in food processor; pulse until coarse crumbs form. Sprinkle over apples.
- Bake 60-70 minutes or until golden brown and apples are tender. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into bars.