Asian inspired pulled pork is delish! You will not be disappointed. Enjoy!
- 3 lbs. Circle B Ranch pork shoulder
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ¼ tsp. salt (or to taste)
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into large chunks
- ½ cup water
- 2/3 cup hoisin sauce
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 3 Tbsp. mirin
- 1 Tbsp. rice wine (Shaoxing)
- 2 inches lemongrass, fresh, finely diced
- 2 Tbsp. ginger, fresh, finely grated
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- ½ tsp. Chinese Five Spice powder
- In a small saucepan add the following items: hoisin sauce, honey, soy sauce, ½ cup water, sesame oil, mirin, Shaoxing rice wine, lemongrass, ginger, garlic, and the Five Spice powder.
- Whisk together. Reserve ¼ cup for basting and set the pan with the rest of the sauce on the stove over low heat to thicken, about 30 minutes. Whisk occasionally to prevent burning. Remove from heat and set aside to cool completely.
- Place onion chunks in the bottom of crock pot and set on low. Salt and pepper the pork on both sides and place on top of the onions.
- Baste the top and sides of the pork with the reserved sauce. Add the lid and cook for 6-8 hours on low or 3-5 hours on high. You will know it’s done when it is falling apart.
- Add the cooled Korean inspired BBQ sauce mixture to a magic bullet or blender and blend until smooth. Set aside (Will keep I the fridge for up to 2 weeks).
- Use this for Asian pork tacos or pulled pork sliders. Serve either one topped with shredded green and purple cabbage, thin slices of quick-pickled radishes and cucumbers, green onion, cilantro and basil. Dress with a drizzle of spicy sriracha and a drizzle of the Korean BBQ sauce.
- Serving Size: 12