Big John and I make Black Bean Soup every New Year’s Day. It has become our good luck dish. This came out really good and I would definitely make it again.
- 1 pound Dried Black Beans
- 4 cups Homemade Chicken Broth
- 2 cups Water
- 3 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 whole Medium Onion, Diced
- 1 whole Red Bell Pepper, Seeded And Diced
- 1 whole Yellow Bell Pepper, Seeded And Diced
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt (more To Taste)
- 1–1/2 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1–1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- Place the beans in a bowl or pot, cover with cold water, and allow to soak overnight *OR* add beans to a medium pot and cover with hot water. Bring to a boil, then boil for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat, cover the pot and allow the beans to sit for 1 hour.
- Drain the beans and rinse them with cold water.
- In a medium pot, add beans, chicken stock, water, onions, and bell peppers. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. At that time, add salt, chili powder, and cumin and stir.
- Cover and continue simmering for another 30 minutes to 1 hour, until the liquid level is to your liking (anywhere from very thick to a thinner soup is fine!)