Who doesn’t love Blueberries and peaches baked together? This pandowdy is delicious especially prepared with fresh blueberries and summer peaches! Enjoy!
- 1 pint fresh blueberries, rinsed
- 3 cups peeled & sliced peaches, fresh or frozen
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar or demerara
- 1 ½ Tbsp. flour or cornstarch
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- Several gratings of whole nutmeg (or ¼-1/2 tsp. ground)
- Juice from ½ lemon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Heavy pinch of kosher salt
- Single pie crust, homemade or store-bought
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 Tbsp. coarse sugar, for sprinkling
- Place a rack in the center of the oven. Preheat to 425 degrees F.
- Place the fruit in a large bowl.
- Add the granulated sugar, flour or corn starch, spices, lemon juice, vanilla, and salt. Toss everything together evenly.
- Loosely pile into an 8-inch cast iron skillet or similar-sized pie plate or baking dish.
- Roll out the pie crust thinly into a rough rectangle. Generously trim the edges to leave a square of dough. Cut up the trimmings into 2-inch pieces and tuck 6-8 of these in and under the fruit in the pan.
- Cut the remaining square of dough into 2-inch squares and shingle these onto the fruit.
- Brush the dough lightly but thoroughly with the beaten egg. Sprinkle on the coarse sugar evenly and generously.
- Bake the pandowdy for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven, and turn the oven down to 375 degrees F.
- With a heat-safe spatula, cut down in between the squares of dough, pressing some of it down into the juices. It might not be super juicy quite yet, but it will be.
- Bake an additional 35 minutes, or until the pastry is deep golden brown and the juices are bubbling all over the pie –not just around the edges. If some of the pastry is starting to get too dark, cover those areas with some foil. Just keep an eye on things to make sure you don’t over-brown your pandowdy.
- Cool to warm before serving with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, frozen yogurt, or some barely sweetened whipped cream.
- If you are using fresh fruit, baking time will reduce by about 10 minutes, so keep an eye on the pandowdy to prevent over-browning.
- Serving Size: 6