You know winter has arrived when you are preparing those delicious stick-to-your-ribs dinners; the ones that give you that great, satisfying feeling when you finish the meal. In the past, I have made lamb shanks and small venison roasts. Fresh Circle B Ranch Pork Shanks are the best. This recipe has a lot of ingredients, but it is well worth the time and effort. The best part of this recipe is the leftovers, and they freeze well, too!
- 4 Fresh Circle B Ranch Pork Shanks
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Onion diced
- 1 Carrot, cleaned and diced
- 2 Celery diced
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 cup dry white wine (use a good quality wine)
- 1–24 oz Jar of Marina’s Tomato Sauce
- 3 cans Cannellini Beans, drained and washed
- 1 lemon zested and juices (1–2 tablespoons)
- 1 cup of homemade chicken stock or Organic chicken Stock
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Dust pork shanks with flour; pat off excess.
- Heat oil in large braising pan over Medium heat. Place pork in pot and sear all sides until brown 8-10 minutes. Remove pork and set aside.
- Add carrot, celery, onion, garlic and bay leaf and saute until softened, about 4 minutes. Add wine and stir to deglaze. Reduce by half to syrupy consistency, about 4 minutes. Add tomatoes, beans, chicken stock, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Return the pork to the pot and bring to a simmer. Cover and put the pot into the oven. Cook for 2-2.5 hours or until fork tender. Carefully remove the lid and remove the bay leaf. Stir in the rosemary and the thyme. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the pork on a platter and top with bean and sauce. Serve with polenta.