Don’t you just love this time of year and all of the delicious kirby cucumbers? I love to put up a few quarts of pickles and we enjoy them in a variety of recipes all year. These are a delicious appetizer for your family or for guests!
- 5 1/2 cups (1 1/2 pounds) thinly sliced pickling cucumbers
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Combine cucumbers and salt in a large, shallow bowl; cover and chill 1 1/2 hours.
- Move cucumbers into a colander and rinse thoroughly under cold water. Drain well, and return cucumbers to bowl. Add onion to the bowl.
- Combine sugar and remaining ingredients in a medium saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Pour hot vinegar mixture over cucumber mixture; let stand at room temperature 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate 24 hours.
- Store in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 2 weeks.