Yep, another apple recipe. I’m on a roll! This was good, but I am not sure that it was on the top of my list for an apple treat.
- 3 pounds* of whatever apples, or mix of apples, you like to bake with, peeled, cored and cut into medium chunks
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons or 4 ounces) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups oats
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened, as you wish; I used unsweetened)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Mix apple chunks with lemon juice, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and pinch of salt in a 9×13-inch baking dish until apples are evenly coated. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter with the honey. Stir in the flour, oats, almonds, coconut and another pinch of salt until clumps form. Sprinkle evenly over the apple mixture and bake in the oven for about 45 to 55 minutes, or until the apples are softened and bubbly. Should the granola brown before you wish it to, cover the baking dish carefully with foil for all but the last few minutes of baking time, when removing the foil will help the granola recrisp. Cool to room temperature and then stash in the fridge to eat with your morning yogurt.