Bring on the Berries!
June is the month for barbecues, chops, and berries. And where is the best possible place to acquire fresh berries? Strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries are all in season at the local Farmers Markets this month.
As we all know, fresher is better. The fresher the berry, the sweeter the taste—and the greater the health benefits.
Each of these berries offers a variety of superior benefits:
- Fresh strawberries provide nutrients and vitamins that aid with proper brain function, reduce blood pressure, improve the immune system, help prevent cancers, reduce the signs of aging, and more.
- Many studies show that blueberries can improve your complexion, increase your energy, and help you maintain your weight. They do all this while helping to prevent diabetes and heart disease.
- Raspberries, like strawberries, assist with the signs of aging. These delicious berries also protect your skin from the sun, promote immune system health, and sustain weight loss.
These are just a few of the benefits you can reap from eating the fresh berries that are currently in season. But the best aspect of these yummy fruits is the variety of ways in which you can prepare them. Bake them, grill them, make a salad, concoct a fresh-fruit dessert—berries are still beneficial. While their juicy goodness has usually been reserved for pies and sweet delicacies, berries are not just for dessert anymore. Add them to your chops, grilled or baked or fried, to change the flavor in ways you can’t imagine.
Here are a few of the best Summer berry recipes I have ever prepared:
- Chocolate Angel Food Cake with Strawberries—This Trisha Yearwood recipe is heavenly! Chocolate and strawberries together equal a treat for your palate!
- Pork Chops with Balsamic Strawberry Sauce—This recipe is easy to make, cooked on the stove-top, has a small ingredient list, and the result is delightful. Each of the components complement each other perfectly to make an all-around flawless dish.
- Pork Chops with Blueberry Mango Salad—Fresh blueberries, mango, cucumbers and a hint of spice combine to make a fresh, fruity topping for your grilled chops!
- White Chocolate Mousse with Mixed Berries—This recipe is delicious, delicious, delicious! This dessert is great for a light summer sweet treat! Prepare it for your BBQ or grilling party with your friends and family. They won’t be disappointed.
If you are enjoying Circle B Ranch’s series about seasonal fruits and vegetables at the Farmers Market, look for future installments! Next, we’ll be taking a look at the benefits of zucchini and various ways to cook it.