This sausage pie is so delicious. I made it as an appetizer. Enjoy!
For the Crust:
- 1 pound all purpose flour
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 egg beaten (for the top crust)
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Filling:
- 1 bunch broccoli tabe (trimmed and chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 pound Circle B Ranch sweet Italian sausage (removed from casing)
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- red pepper flakes, as desired
- salt to taste
Prepare the Filling:
- Heat the oil in a saute pan and saute the garlic, red pepper flakes and onion until translucent.
- Add in the sausage meat and saute for about 5-7 minutes on medium-high heat until all the meat is browned. Add in the Broccoli Rabe and saute about 5 minutes with the sausage. Add salt to taste. Lower the heat to a simmer. Add in the water and cover. Cook covered for another 10 minutes. Uncover and cook until the Broccoli Rabe is soft and wilted and most of the liquid has evaporated. Drain the liquid and cool completely before using.
Make the Crust:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a stand mixer combine the wine, oil and salt and mix together. Add in the flour all at once and mix on low speed until the dough forms. If the dough feels a bit sticky add a little more flour.
- Cut the dough in half. Take one half and with a rolling pin flatten it into a thin round sheet of dough large enough to cover the bottom of your baking pan (12″ wide).
- Before you lay the dough in the pan, apply a very thin film of EV olive oil to the pan.
- Position the dough in the pan and then spread the filling uniformly on the dough. Keep the filling within 1/2′ from the border of the dough. Take the other half of the dough and flatten it with the rolling pin into a round sheet that you will use the cover your filling. Once you place the dough over the Broccoli Rabe cut any excess dough and with a fork seal the two sheets of dough together.
- Brush the top crust with the beaten egg, then with a fork, puncture the surface every 2″ and bake for 60 minutes until the top crust is golden brown.