This pasta dish is usually made with shell-shaped pasta which I could not find in Springfield, MO. I used Casarecce pasta and this recipe came out delicious. Enjoy!
- 60 ml olive oil (¼ cup)
- 1 small onion
- 1 small carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 500 gm gnochetti Sardi (malloredus) I used Casarecce pasta
- 250 gm Circle B Ranch Sweet Italian sausage, skins removed
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1–24 oz Marina’s Italian Style Tomato Sauce
- 5 saffron threads
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 5 basil leaves
- To serve: finely grated Pecorino
Heat olive oil in a large frying pan, add onion, carrot and celery and cook over medium heat for 6 minutes or until soft, add sausage meat and cook, breaking up with the back of a spoon, for 10 minutes.
2 Add tomato paste and cook for 1 minute, then add tomatoes, saffron and herbs. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes. Season to taste with sea salt. Sauce should be thick.
3 Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain and stir through sauce. Serve with grated Pecorino.