Big John loved these stuffed peppers. Sausage, tomato sauce, cheese and more! He said that the orzo added a really great flavor to the stuffing. Enjoy!
- ½ onion, diced
- 16 ounces Circle B Ranch Sweet Italian Sausage
- 15 ounces Marina’s Italian Style Tomato Sauce
- 2 ounces shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 8 ounces dried orzo pasta
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken stock
- 4 ounces shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 8 bell peppers (red, orange, yellow and green)
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- Garlic powder to taste
- Cracked black pepper to taste
- 8 basil leaves, chopped (optional for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 450° F.
- Warm 1 Tbsp. of oil in a medium (10-inch) skillet over medium heat, approximately 2 minutes. Add orzo and stir to coat. Cook until orzo is golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil; cook for about 7-10 minutes until liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, wash peppers. Cut the tops off and remove seeds and veins. Pat peppers dry with a paper towel. Place peppers (lids and bottoms) in a microwave-safe bowl and toss with 1 Tbsp. oil and kosher salt. Cover bowl with plastic wrap or microwave-safe lid. Microwave until peppers are soft (about 10 minutes). Remove peppers from bowl and place in a 9×9-inch baking dish.
- In the meantime, heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan and sauté onion. Add sausage and cook until browned.
- In the orzo pan, combine the sausage and onion, tomato sauce, mozzarella, and cheeses. Stir to combine. Add garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste. Stuff the mixture into the peppers, using a spoon. Put the tops on the peppers. Add more tomato sauce to the pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until top is lightly browned.
- Serving Size: 8