Chicken with Vinegar is a keeper. This recipe came out delish and it is a keeper! Enjoy!
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 3-lb. chicken, cut up for sautéing
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup minced shallots or scallions
- 1 cup good red-wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. butter (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Set a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; when it is hot, place chicken in the skillet, skin side down. Cook undisturbed for about 5 minutes, or until chicken is nicely browned. Turn and cook 3 minutes on the other side. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place skillet in the oven. Cook 15 to 20 minutes, or until almost done (juices will run clear, and there will be just a trace of pink near the bone). Remove chicken to an ovenproof platter. Place it in the oven; turn off the heat and leave the door slightly ajar.
- Pour all but 2 Tbsp. of the cooking juices out of the skillet (discard them). Place skillet over medium-high heat, and add shallots; sprinkle them with a little salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, until tender, about 2 minutes. Add vinegar and raise the heat to high. Cook a minute or two, or until the powerful acrid smell subsides somewhat. Add ½ up water, and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring, until the mixture is slightly reduced and somewhat thickened. Stir in butter, if desired.
- Return chicken and any accumulated juices to the skillet and turn the chicken in the sauce. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 4