We love cornbread in the Backes household. It is delicious with so many things. I love that this has fresh or frozen corn folded into the batter. Enjoy!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup half & half
- 1/4 cup melted Circle B Ranch lard
- 1 cup sweet corn, fresh, thawed, or canned (drained well)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a standard 9×9-inch baking dish, nonstick baking pan, flexible silicone pan, or cast iron skillet.
- Sift together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt.
- Combine the half & half, eggs, and shortening.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ones and mix just until the flour is moistened, no more than 10-15 seconds. Then fold in the corn, but don’t over-mix the batter or the cornbread will come out tough.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake the cornbread immediately.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean and the edge of the cornbread starts to separate from the pan.