When I found this recipe, I knew it would be delicious with my Marina’s Cranberry Chutney! I just had to try it! So I made a few changes and came up with an absolutely wonderful dessert.
For the Crumb
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- Zest of one orange
- 16 Tbsp. (1 cup) unsalted butter, cut into cubes and chilled
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp. orange juice
For the Filling
- 14 oz. of Marina’s Cranberry Chutney
- 1 ½ Tbsp. cornstarch
- Line a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with parchment paper, leaving overhang on two sides of the pan to create a sling. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a food processor, mix together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and orange zest. Pulse once or twice to combine. Slowly add the butter a few Tbsp. at a time, pulsing between additions, until the mixture resembles large crumbs. Add the egg and juice and pulse 1-2 times so the mixture looks like coarse meal.
- Place half the mixture in the baking pan and press down to create the base. Set aside.
- Rinse the food processor, and add the cornstarch and Marina’s Cranberry Chutney. Pulse 1-2 times to incorporate ingredients (do not puree).
- Spread the filling over the base, then crumble on the remaining crumb mixture, lightly pressing down so it sticks to the filling. Bake for about 30-35 minutes; the top crumbs should take on a very light golden color. Allow it to cool completely before cutting into bars. You can use the sling to remove the bars before or after cutting.