The recipe was described as “salt, sweet, and smoke in each delicious bite.” I had to try it! With a description like that, who could resist? And they were right, but I decided to add my own twist, of course!
- 8 ounces of Circle B Ranch Hickory Smoked Bacon
- brown sugar
- 2/3 cup Dutch-process cocoa
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder, optional (for enhanced chocolate flavor)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup lard
- 1/4 bacon grease
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8″ square or 9″ round pan.
- Spread the bacon in a single layer on a large, rimmed baking sheet, and sprinkle it heavily with brown sugar to coat
- Bake the bacon for 20 to 25 minutes, or until it is crisp but not completely browned. Remove it from the oven, and place it on a plate or parchment paper to cool. Don’t use paper towels; the bacon will stick. When the bacon is cool, crumble it or chop coarsely.
- In a large mixing bowl, begin the brownies. Whisk together the cocoa, sugars, salt, flour, and espresso powder.
- Add the eggs, lard, bacon grease, and water. Mix just until smooth. Pour the mixture into the pan you have prepared, and smooth the top.
- Sprinkle the candied bacon on top of the brownies.
- Bake the brownies for about 35 minutes (8″ pan), or 20 to 25 minutes (9″ pan). When done, a toothpick inserted into the center will come out clean, or with a few damp crumbs clinging to it.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm. Or cool to room temperature and refrigerate until ready to serve.