I had some crabmeat left over from Christmas and I thought this would be a great hors d’oeuvre for Super ball game. I served them with a lot of lemon.
- 8oz crab (lump)
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp Mayo or Greek Yogurt (up to 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 tbsp Dijon
- 1 tsp Worcestershire
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp old bay
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp crack black pepper
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 c panko (approximately)
- 2 tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 350 and place rack in upper third of the oven. Before you begin, dump crab into bowl where you will be mixing. Check for and remove any shells or gristle you find.
- In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients and seasonings. If making ahead, refrigerate the sauce up to 48 hours in an air tight container.
- Gently toss the crab into the wet ingredients, making sure not to break up the crab too much.
- Add bread crumbs, a little at a time until it is just starting to stick together. You want enough so that it holds, but easily falls apart when you apply pressure.
- Refrigerate mixture for 15 mins up to an hour. Once chilled, Roll into 1/2″ balls
- Put on a parchment lined baking sheet or a oiled baking rack fitted over a baking sheet (see photo)
- Lightly brush the crab balls with butter and bake 25 mins at 350
- Brush again with 1 tbsp butter at end of bake and squeeze a lemon wedge over.
- Serve hot and enjoy!