One of my favorite times of year is here again: Eggplants are at the farmers market! It’s time to stock my freezers with eggplant parmesan, eggplant rollitini and fresh eggplant caponata. I love caponata, it’s quick, easy and healthy, and you can eat it warm or cold. In the past I have served it over fish or rice, cold as a side or on crostini, but last night I chose to serve it warm over pasta. My family definitely enjoyed it!
- 1 Pound Pasta (I used Barilla Gemilli)
- 1 Medium Eggplant- medium diced
- 1 Cup Grape Tomatoes- cut in half
- ½ Cup Homemade Chicken Stock
- ¼ Cup Tomato Paste
- ¼ Of a Small Sweet White Onion- medium diced
- 1 Medium Garlic Clove- finely chopped
- Olive Oil- to use in the pan
- ¼ Cup Capers- Rinsed
- ¼ Cup Kalamata Olives – pitted
- Cut eggplant into ½ inch rings and then cut the eggplant into medium sized cubes. Don’t worry about the skin, it adds color, nutrients and helps the eggplant keep its form.
- Place a large saute pan over medium/high heat and add enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. ***This is important! For the eggplant to not get too oily, the oil has to be hot (not smoking) before you add the eggplant to it.
- Add the eggplant, stir occasionally.
- After about 5 minutes the eggplant should have softened a bit, add the onions and cook for about another 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add in the tomatoes and garlic. Cook another 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- At this point, lower the heat. Taste to ensure everything is almost cooked through.
- Move everything to one side in the pan, add the tomato paste, spread it out on the surface of the pan, once heated add the chicken stock.
- Once the chicken stock is added, stir to dissolve the tomato paste. It will make a richly colored broth.
- Turn up the heat again.
- Add the olives and capers. Let the sauce slightly reduce.
- While you’re making your delicious caponata, you can be making the pasta. Once done, strain. Ensure you keep a small bowl of pasta water to use if needed. Place in a big pasta serving bowl.
- Pour the caponata on top of your pasta and enjoy!!!