Eggplant from the Farmers Market is the BEST!! Sweet and so full of flavor. When I saw this recipe from Ina Garten I knew I had to try it and it did not disappoint. Enjoy!!
- Good olive oil, for frying
- 3/4 lb. eggplant, unpeeled, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 extra-large egg
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. freshly grated Parmesan
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup Marina’s Tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat about 1/8-inch of olive oil in a very large frying pan over medium heat. When the oil is almost smoking, add several slices of eggplant and cook, turning once, until they are evenly browned on both sides and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer the cooked eggplant slices to paper towels to drain. Add more oil, heat, and add more eggplant until all the slices are cooked.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together the ricotta, egg, half-and-half, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan, 1/8 tsp. salt, and 1/8 tsp. pepper.
- In each of 2 individual gratin dishes, place a layer of eggplant slices, then sprinkle with Parmesan and salt and pepper. Spoon over 1/2 of the marinara sauce. Next, add a second layer of eggplant, more salt and pepper, half the ricotta mixture, and finally 1 Tbsp. of grated Parmesan on top.
- Place the gratins on a baking sheet and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the custard sets and the top is browned. Serve warm.
- Serving Size: 2