This simple recipe will delight the whole family, especially when you let the kids join in on the cooking fun! My kids get excited when we prepare this dish simply because they love the experience of making their own pizza. And it doesn’t hurt that the crust is unbelievably light and flakey!
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- While oven is preheating, remove casing from sausage and cook in large skillet. Chop with spatula, creating sausage crumbles and cook until well done; no pink should remain. Drain grease from meat using a colander, and rinse sausage with water to remove any remaining excess grease. Set aside.
- Grease or lightly spray a flat cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Open crescent roll can and remove dough. Unroll the dough and divide into 4 squares or 8 individual triangles, laying dough portions onto cookie sheet. Bake dough until it begins to rise, approximately 7-10 minutes. Check dough; color of both top and bottom should be a light golden brown.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Cover dough from edge to edge with Marina’s Homemade Italian Style Tomato Sauce. Set any remaining sauce to the side.
- Liberally sprinkle cooked sausage over top of sauce and cover with Cheddar cheese (or other cheese of choice).
- Bake until cheese is melted, approximately 5-7 minutes, keeping a close eye on the crust to make sure it does not burn.
- Serve immediately. If you like, heat the remainder of the tomato sauce and pour over the top of your fresh pizza, or sprinkle pizza with Parmesan cheese.
- Adapt this recipe to include any topping you would like—bacon makes an excellent pizza topping! Refrigerate left-over pizza and reheat for a quick lunch or snack for the next day. Or make a delicious packed lunch for school that the kids will love.
- Serving Size: 8