A Fresh Taste from the Farm: Asparagus
The year seems to be flying by. We’re well into Spring and edging toward Summer. Farmers’ markets are teeming with fresh produce and bustling with consumers. Now is the perfect time to stop by and pick up a fresh veggie or fruit to complete a healthy dinner for your family.
Buying from a farmers’ market supplies you with more benefits than you realize. Fresh produce, grown without all the extra additives and chemicals, provides a wide variety of nutrients and a purer taste that you just can’t get from the grocery aisle. And when you buy from a farmers’ market you know you are purchasing the produce at the height of its season. That’s as fresh as it gets.
For example, Asparagus is in season right now.
If you were to swing by the farmers’ market, you could treat yourself to an assortment of this super-vegetable. Edible varieties include the usual green asparagus that everyone finds familiar, a white asparagus that has a very delicate flavor, and even a purple asparagus that is smaller with a fruity type flavor.
Whichever type you prefer, one thing is for sure; asparagus is one of Spring’s finest super-foods. Let’s take a look at the veggie’s amazing benefits!
Asparagus is rich in a variety of vitamins and nutrients:
- Fiber improves digestive health and aids with weight loss.
- Folate strengthens brain function, especially when paired with B12, and positively enhances your mood.
- Asparagus boosts your immune system with a high Vitamin C content.
- Vitamin E helps strengthen your immune system.
- To assist with blood coagulation and bone health and contribute to the body’s absorption of calcium, asparagus contains a decent amount of Vitamin K.
- Glutathione breaks down carcinogens & free radicals.
- Iron works to avoid anemia.
- Folic acid, a necessary dietary supplement for pregnant women, helps prevent premature births and birth defects.
- Vitamin A
As if that’s not enough, asparagus is also low in fat and calories, high in antioxidants, and is a natural diuretic.
But, the best thing about this yummy vegetable is that there are a variety of ways to cook it and still get all of its rich goodness.
For example, here are a few of my favorite asparagus recipes.
Mushroom Asparagus Risotto—asparagus with mushrooms and creamy rice; what’s not to love?
Grilled Asparagus with Asian Marinade—if you like Asian Cuisine, you’ll love this dish!
Asian Asparagus Slaw—great for BBQs or grilling get-togethers!
Bacon Asparagus Strata—yummy and so easy to make!!!!!
Just remember, if you decide to try out any of these recipes, stop by your local farmers’ market and purchase fresh asparagus. The fresher the vegetable is, the better the quality, and high-quality produce means unbeatable flavor.
Would you like to know more about the vegetables and fruits that are in season right now? Look for our upcoming article “Bring on the Berries!” I’ll talk about the berries that are currently in season at the Farmers Market and share more delicious recipes with you.