Circle B Ranch Sweet Italian Sausage is so versatile. I changed a few things around from the original recipe. Delicious grilled and even better added into pasta!
- ¾ pound gemelli or penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 pound Circle B Ranch sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup chopped arugula (2 ounces)
- 1 cup chopped beet greens (2 ounces)
- ½ pint red grape tomatoes
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until just al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of the cooking water.
- Meanwhile, in a large deep skillet, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the onion and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until softened, 4-5 minutes. Add the sausage and crushed red pepper and cook, breaking up the meat with the back of a spoon, until no trace of pink remains, about 5 minutes. Add the arugula, beet greens, and tomatoes and cook until just softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add pasta and reserved cooking water to skillet, and cook over moderate heat, lightly crushing the tomatoes until they are heated through and releasing juice, about 2 minutes. Season with salt.
- Transfer the pasta to bowls, sprinkle with Parmesan, and serve.
- The original recipe, which can be accessed at http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/gemelli-sweet-sausage-and-spinach, actually calls for 4 ounces of coarse chopped baby spinach, but the arugula and beet greens give the dish a much richer and diverse flavor.