Big John is German and we love to make German Food. This delicious German Red Cabbage (also known as Rotkohl or Blaukrat depending on which part of Germany you are in) is a fantastic sweet and sour recipe that is served with many traditional German dishes.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 head red cabbage, sliced very thin
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 juniper berries
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Melt butter in large butch oven over medium0high heat. Add the chopped onion and apples and sauté for 7-10 minutes until soft.
- Add the cabbage to the onions and apples, and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the red wine vinegar, apple cider, sugar, bay leaf, cloves, juniper berries, and salt. Bring the liquids to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for 1 hour until cabbage is soft but not mushy. Serve warm or cold.
A mandolin makes slicing an entire head of cabbage quick and easy. Just be careful of your fingers!