Fresh carrots and potatoes from the Farmer’s Market make this recipe. Serve this with a grilled pork chop and your family will be very happy. Enjoy!
- 1 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 lb. fresh carrots
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 2 Tbsp. fresh ginger, grated
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- Fill a large saucepan with tap water and add a good dash of salt to it. Place the pan over high heat. Bring the water to a rolling boil. In the meantime, peel the potatoes and rinse them under cold running tap water. Chop them roughly. Peel and chop the garlic cloves as well. Add both the chopped garlic and the potatoes to the boiling salted water.
- Turn the heat to medium and cook the potatoes, under a lid for about 20 minutes. In the meantime, peel and trim the carrots. Slice them up. Add ½ of the sliced carrots to a small medium saucepan and pour in the whole milk. Season with a little pinch of pepper, nutmeg, and salt.
- Bring the carrots and milk to a gentle simmer and cook them for about 6-8 minutes, until the carrots are soft.
- Remove the cooked carrots from the milk (keep the warm milk for later use) using a slotted spoon and add them to a clean blender. Add the grated ginger as well as a pinch of pepper, nutmeg, and salt.
- Pulse the warm carrots and fresh ginger into a fine puree.
- Add the rest of the sliced carrots to the boiling potatoes 5 minutes before the end of cooking time.
- Then drain the cooked carrots and potatoes and transfer them back to the saucepan. Add unsalted butter and season with a little pinch of pepper, nutmeg, and salt.
- Mash them up a little. Then add the carrot and ginger puree from the blender and add a splash of the warm carrot milk from earlier.
- Stir the carrot mash well again. Add more milk if you like. Then check the seasoning and add extra salt, pepper, nutmeg, or butter if necessary. Scoop the carrot mash onto warm plates and serve hot.
- Serving Size: 2