This is my family’s favorite summer salad. It is best to prepare this salad when the corn and zucchini are at their peaks. I especially like buying the vegetables I need for this from the Farmers Market. This recipe does have quite a few ingredients, but it is well worth the time to prepare. It’s also good for a few days after you make it.
- 2 ears of corn
- 8 small yellow squash or zucchini (you can use larger ones if you like)
- 1 small red onion
- 1 Red pepper
- 1/2 Yellow pepper
- 2 tomatoes (whatever color you would like)
- 1 Can of Black Beans (drained and rinsed)
- Hot Sauce to taste
- Garlic Powder to taste (or you can use a couple of garlic cloves)
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 Limes
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- Wrap the corn in aluminum foil. Preheat your grill and put the wrapped corn and grill for 5 minutes or so on each side. I like to keep turning the corn until it is cooked. Cool the corn until you are ready to start cutting the kernels off the cob. Add to the bowl.
- Cut the yellow squash or the zucchini in half (if you are using small zucchini). Coat with some olive oil and cook on the grill until grilled on both sides. Take off the grill and cool. When cool cut into 1 inch pieces. Add to bowl.
- Dice the red onion, tomatoes and peppers. Add to bowl.
- Chop the cilantro (I used about 1/4 of a cup).
- Add as much garlic powder and hot sauce as you like. It all depends on how hot and garlicky you want your salad.
- Dress the salad with the Lime Dressing.
- Whisk the lime juice and olive oil together.
- Dress the salad with the dressing.