Fresh Eggplant is very plentiful during this time of the year, especially from the Farmers Market. We especially like it grilled! What could be better than grilled eggplant layered with a basil ricotta?
- 3 Sicilian eggplant or 1 1/2 regular eggplant cut into discs.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil for brushing
- 1 cup whole milk or part skim ricotta
- Handful of Basil leaves
- 1 cup Marina’s Tomato Sauce
- Grated Parmigiano cheese to sprinkle on top
- Brush Eggplant slices with oil and grill on a barbecue grill or a cast iron grill pan brushed with oil as well.
- Grill a few minutes on each side until slices are soft. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels and sprinkle with salt.
- Add the Ricotta, Basil and salt to taste to a blender or a food processor and process till smooth.
- To assemble the stacks spoon some tomato sauce into a plate. Using the back of the spoon spread in a circular motion. Layer eggplant, and ricotta using 3 slices per stack. Top with ricotta and spoon some more sauce on top. Garnish with some fresh basil and grated Parmigiano cheese. Best served at room temperature.