Make a delicious pound cake, add some Warm Peach Coulis and you will have a delicious dessert. Enjoy!
- 1 heaping cup sliced and peeled ripe peaches, more for garnish
- 5 ounces apricot jam
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3 Tbsp. water
- ½ Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- One homemade vanilla pound cake, sliced crosswise into 8 pieces
- Slivered almonds
- Mint sprigs
- Grilled peach wedges
For the Vanilla Pound Cake (recipe by Martha Stewart)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for pan
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. salt
For the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 6-cup (8 ½ x 4 ½-inch) loaf pan; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition; add vanilla and salt. With mixer on low, gradually add flour, beating until just combined (do not overmix).
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean, about 1 hour (tent with aluminum foil if browning too quickly). Let cool in pan 15 minutes. Invert onto a wire rack, and turn upright to cool completely.
For the Coulis
- In a medium saucepan, combine peaches, peach or apricot jam, lemon juice, and water. Crush some of the peaches with a potato masher; about 3-4 crushes will do the trick, leaving many whole pieces. Bring to a boil and then turn the heat down to medium.
- In a small bowl, stir 1 Tbsp. water with cornstarch. Slowly add cornstarch to the simmering peaches and stir for one minute. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Preheat grill or grill-pan to medium-low. Brush the pound cake slices with melted butter. Grill until the cake is toasted, about 2 minutes on each side. You can also grill some sliced peach wedges to serve on the side.
- Spread the warm sauce on dessert plates, place 2 cake slices on each plate and top with additional sauce. Garnish with slivered almonds and mint. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 2