There is nothing better in the summer than grilling or roasting vegetables. I usually take the vegetables that John brings from the garden, slice them into rounds, marinate them in balsamic vinaigrette and either put them in a high over (400 degrees or more) or put them on the grill.
Grilled vegetables go with anything you serve. They are great with grilled chicken or pork. I really love grilled onions with a really good steak! When they come off the grill, squeeze a little lemon on the vegetables. It helps bring out the grilled taste.
Grilled vegetables are also great leftover or made into a sandwich with fresh mozzarella, basil and balsamic glaze. I am making myself hungry!
- Eggplant (at least 2)
- Zucchini and Yellow Squash (2 of each)
- Red Onion or White Onion(2-3)
- Portabello Mushrooms (4)
- Red, Yellow and Orange Peppers (1 of each)
- Olive oil
Balsamic Vinaigrette Marinade
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup of Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tbls of rice wine vinegar
- Clean and slice the Eggplant into rounds. Clean and slice the zucchini and yellow squash length wise.
- Quarter the onion.
- Clean the Portabello Mushrooms and leave whole.
- Half the red, yellow and orange peppers.
- Whisk the Balsamic Vinegar into the olive oil. If you use a really good vinegar is will begin to emulsify quickly.
- Place the cleaned and cut vegetables into large ziplocs, and pour the vinaigrette into the bags.
- Sprinkle peppers with olive oil and garlic powder.
- Let the vegetables marinate in the vinaigrette for a few hours.
- Take out of the refrigerator and place on grill.
- Grill a few minutes on either side, or until done.
- If you are roasting the vegetable place on sheet pans and put in preheated 400-425 degree oven. You will need to watch the vegetables and flip them after 15 minutes. Roast until golden brown.