We love tomato soup in the Backes household. I especially like this recipe. It’s easy and delicious.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2–24 oz Marina’s Italian Tomato Sauce
- 2 cups of Homemade Chicken Stock
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Dash of crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the bay leaves.
- Add the tomato sauce and chicken stock. Stir in the brown sugar and fresh basil. Season with red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper, to taste. Simmer on low for 15 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves from the pot. Use an immersion blender to blend the soup (or blend the soup in a standing blender and return to the pot). Serve warm.