It was snowing in Missouri today. The roads were bad and the weatherman was calling for COLD weather! So of course to warm up, we had to make soup. I make my own chicken stock and I had plenty in the freezer. I had all of the other ingredients in the pantry so I made this soup. If you have some chicken it would be great in this soup. This was delicious. Serve with crusty fresh Italian Bread! Sprinkle some Romano cheese on the soup when you serve it.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small white onion, peeled and diced
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 14 ounces of Marina’s Italian Tomato Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups (about 8 ounces) Orzo pasta (DeLallo or another brand)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups loosely-packed spinach
- salt and black pepper
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute for 4 minutes, until soft. Add carrots, celery and garlic and saute for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, tomatoes, orzo (pasta), oregano and stir to combine.
- Bring soup to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is al dente.
- Stir in the spinach and cook for 1-2 minutes until it is bright green and wilted. Season with salt and black pepper to taste (if needed). Serve warm with Romano cheese and Crusty Italian Bread,