Circle B Ranch Sweet Italian Sausage and Marina’s Italian Tomato Sauce are the foundation of this delicious soup. Enjoy!!
- 1 pound Circle B Ranch sweet Italian Sausage
- 1 ½ Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 medium (or 1 large) onion
- 5–6 medium cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 medium carrots
- 1 head green cabbage (about 2 lbs.)
- 2 tsp. kosher salt plus a couple pinches
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1– 24 ounce bottle of Marina’s Tomato Sauce
- 6 cups chicken stock or broth (preferably homemade)
- Crushed red pepper flakes for serving (optional)
- Remove sausage meat from casing (an easy way is to make a vertical cut down the center of each sausage). Crumble the meat.
- Peel, halve, and thinly slice the onion.
- Finely chop the garlic.
- Clean the carrots and cut into ¼-inch rounds.
- Remove the core from the cabbage and shred or cut into very thin slices.
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Once hot, add crumbled sausage. Cook, stirring occasionally, mostly to break up the sausage with a wooden spoon, for 8-10 minutes, or until most of the pink is gone.
- Remove sausage from pot and set aside.
- Keep the pot over medium heat and add olive oil. Once hot, toss in sliced onions along with a pinch of kosher salt and a bit of freshly ground black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes, or until onions are soft.
- Add in garlic and carrots, stir continuously for one minute until garlic is fragrant.
- Raise heat to medium high and add in cabbage along with 2 tsp. of kosher salt and 25 turns of freshly ground pepper. Toss to combine and continue cooking for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until cabbage begins to wilt and release some moisture.
- Add cooked sausage back in, along with the Tomato Sauce and broth. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, remove from heat and adjust seasonings if necessary. Serve with a sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 8