Italian Zucchini Bake
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
1 1/2 lbs zucchini (3 medium size)
1 small white onion
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
butter to grease your pan
fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13 glass plan with butter.
- Rinse your zucchini and slice off the tip and root ends. Pat your zucchini dry with a paper towel. Leave the skin on.
- Slice your zucchini into 1/8-inch rounds, using a mandolin, food processor or paring knife. Place your zucchini slices into a large mixing bowl.
- Using paper towels, pat your zucchini slices and gently squeeze them to absorb excess moisture. (This is key to prevent a soggy casserole)
- Peel and finely chop your onion and add it to your bowl.
- Add your pressed garlic (or peel and chop it finely)
- In a liquid measuring cup, add your oil, then beat in your eggs with a fork. Pour the egg/oil mixture into your bowl with the zucchini.
- Add your flour, baking powder, Parmesan, Romano, salt, pepper and basil to your bowl.
- Use a wooden spoon to carefully mix everything until combined well. Try to separate any zucchini slices that are stuck together.
- Transfer your zucchini mixture to your greased pan and smooth it out evenly. Bake uncovered for 55-60 minutes, or until the entire top is browned (but not burned).
- Let the casserole rest for at least five minutes before slicing it. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to five days.
*** For an 8 x 8 pan, halve the ingredients but bake the casserole for the full amount of time.