If you are familiar with my blog, you know I love cooking with eggplant. Any kind, any way! This came out delicious. Enjoy!
- 6 (5-6-inch long) bambino (also called Baby Bell) eggplants (about 6 oz. each)
- ½ cup long-grain or jasmine rice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 cups Home made Chicken stock or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 15 ounces of Marina’s Tomato Sauce
- 1 lb. Circle B Ranch Ground Pork
- 1 tsp. ground allspice
- ½ lemon
- 3 Tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Hollow out each eggplant with a melon-ball cutter, working from the bottom end and leaving about 1/3-inch eggplant flesh along interior walls. Rinse rice in a sieve under cold water until water runs clear. Drain well.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Sauté onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, until golden, 6-8 minutes. Transfer ½ cup onion mixture to bowl. Add stock, tomatoes, ¾ tsp. salt and ¼ tsp. pepper to skillet and simmer, uncovered, while stuffing eggplant.
- Add rice, meat, allspice, 1 tsp. salt, and ½ tsp. pepper to bowl with onion mixture and mix well with your hands.
- Stuff eggplant with meat mixture, being careful not to pack tightly (rice will expand while cooking). Transfer stuffed eggplants to skillet with tomato sauce and simmer, covered, carefully turning once, until rice is cooked through, 50-60 minutes. Test by cutting one in half. Check dish periodically to make sure sauce does not burn.
- If sauce is watery, transfer eggplants to a plate and boil sauce, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 3-5 minutes. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Return stuffed eggplant to sauce. Squeeze lemon over dish and sprinkle with parsley before serving.