John loves Lemon Bars. These are easy and they are delicious. Enjoy!
For the Crust
- Cooking spray or butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- 8 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
For the Filling
- 4 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar, plus more for dusting
- 2 Tbsp. finely grated lemon zest (from 2 lemons)
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 2-3 lemons)
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- Heat the oven and prepare the baking dish: Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 325 degrees F. Lightly coat an 11×7-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray or butter. Line the dish with a parchment paper sling, leaving an overhang of about 2 inches on each long side; set aside.
- Make the Crust: Place the flour, granulated sugar, powdered sugar, zest, and salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the blade attachment. Pulse 5 times to combine. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- Press the Crust in and Chill: Pour the crust mixture into the prepared baking dish. Use the bottom of a measuring cup or your fingers to press the crumbs into an even layer. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Prebake the Crust: Bake the crust until it is a light golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Make the Filling: Whisk the whole eggs, egg yolk, granulated sugar, powdered sugar, zest, and salt together in a large bowl. Whisk in the lemon juice, and then the flour, until combined.
- Pour the Filling into the Crust: Remove the crust from the oven and pour the lemon filling onto the warm crust.
- Bake the Lemon Bars: Return the pan to the oven and bake until light brown around the edges and the top appears relatively dry, 15-20 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting.
- Dust with Powdered Sugar: Remove the lemon bars from the pan using the parchment sling. Use a fine-mesh strainer to generously dust the bars with powdered sugar.
- Cut the Lemon Bars: Place on a cutting board and cut into 12 pieces. Dust with more powdered sugar, if desired, before serving.