John bought some really delicious yellow squash from Fastnight Creek Farms and when I saw them I knew I had to make a quick bread. If you follow my recipe blog you will see that I am the queen of quick breads and when I saw this recipe I knew I had to make this recipe. Enjoy!
- 1 cup melted unsalted butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- Juice and zest of 2 small lemons
- 1 tsp. almond flavor
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups grated summer squash
- 1 Tbsp. poppy seeds
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease or line 2 loaf pans; set aside.
- Place the melted butter, sugar, lemon juice and zest, almond flavor and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl. Cream together until fluffy and light in color, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, allowing each egg to fully incorporate into the mixture before adding another.
- Evenly sprinkle the salt, baking soda, and baking powder over the top of the mixture. Mix well.
- Working in batches, add the flour a ½ cup at a time; mix in entirely between additions. Fold in the squash and poppy seeds.
- Divide the batter between the prepared loaf pans. Bake for 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean.