I had never cooked with red lentils before. This soup was easy to prepare and it was delicious.
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 5 medium onions, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound Circle B Ranch Hickory Smoked bacon, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 5–6 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 12 ounces red lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 16 cups Chicken broth
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 16 cups home made Chicken Stock
- 6 scallions, white and light green parts, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1tablespoon grated lemon zest
- Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot. Add the onions, garlic and bacon, and sauté over medium heat until the bacon is cooked and the onions are well browned, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in the celery, carrots, and parsnips. Cover, and cook until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the lentils, broth, tomato paste, and water. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the lentils and orzo are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in the scallions, parsley, and zest. Top each serving with grated Parmesan.