As you know, we here at Circle B Ranch are all about being open with our readers regarding all aspects of our products. And we love it when you, our readers, are open with us as well. That being said, I would like to share a guest post sent to me by Will. He, like myself, believes in enhancing the body by consuming healthy foods, and he points out the numerous advantages to be gained from pork bone broth. To learn more about Will and his beliefs, visit https://www.hairlossrevolution.com/#about.
How to Make Pork Bone Broth for Healthy Skin, Hair, and Nails
If you’re anything like me, you’re always on the search for the next best health food. That’s because I believe high-quality food is one of the best medicines out there.
With that in mind, I’d like to offer an introduction to pork bone broth, including its many benefits for your skin, hair, and nails. These outward signs of health are an indicator of your inner wellness, and I believe bone broth helps to promote both.
The Many Benefits of Bone Broth
Broth has been consumed for centuries, revered for its versatility in recipes and its variety of health benefits. But where exactly do these health benefits come from? It’s nutrients, of course!
Collagen for Skin and Hair
Collagen keeps your skin firm and your hair strong. Luckily, collagen is also one of the main nutrients found in bone broth.
Did you know that collagen is also useful for stimulating new hair growth and reducing fibrosis in the scalp? There’s a lot to love about this versatile protein!
Protein for Strong Hair and Nails
The hair and nails main component – keratinocytes – are a special type of protein.
This protein, and others, are found in bone broth and, when consumed, can keep your hair and nails strong and healthy.
Glucosamine for Moisturized Skin
Glucosamine is an amino sugar (a cross between glucose and glutamine) and is popularly used in the treatment of joint-related conditions, such as arthritis.
Interestingly, though, this ingredient has also been shown to hydrate the skin (effectively ridding you of wrinkles!).
Magnesium for Anti-Aging
Magnesium deficiency has been shown to increase signs of aging, including wrinkles, fine lines, and grey hair. That’s why bone broth – a rich source of Magnesium – is a great addition to any diet.
Another sign of aging that magnesium supplementation can combat? Hair loss!
How to Prepare Pork Bone Broth
There are various methods of preparation available. Feel free to experiment with different vegetables and herbs, but be sure to keep the base ingredients (high-quality pork bones, apple cider vinegar, and water).
- 3 to 4 pounds of Circle B Ranch neck pork bones
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium carrots
- 3 stalks celery
- 2 medium yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- Optional: fresh ginger, fresh or dried mushrooms, chutney or tomato sauce, garlic, fresh or dried herbs
- Place the bones in a large stock pot, adding enough cold water to cover the bones. Add the apple cider vinegar, and allow to sit (without heat) for about 30 minutes.
- Chop the vegetables, placing them in the stock pot with the bones. Add more water if needed to completely cover all ingredients, and bring the pot to a boil.
- Turn the heat to low, keeping the broth at a low simmer for 12 – 24 hours. Check the pot every few hours, skimming the foam from the top and discarding. Add more water when necessary.
- The broth is done when it’s dark and flavorful. Remove large bones, and then strain the broth with a fine mesh strainer to ensure small bones and vegetables are completely removed.
- Store in your fridge for up to 5 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
Optional: Prior to placing and cooking in stock pot, you can roast the pork bones (with olive oil) in the oven. Do so at 400*F for one hour, turning the bones halfway through. This creates a richer flavor, and can help to bring out more nutrients.
With a better understanding of the many benefits that pork bone broth can provide you and your family, I hope you’re excited to give it a try! It really is an easy recipe (despite its long cooking time) and can serve you and your family well in soups, stews, and even in the braising of vegetables and other meats!
If you would like to research the health benefits of pork bone broth further, you may find these additional resources helpful: