When I saw this recipe I knew I had to make it. Maple Syrup and Circle B Ranch breakfast sausage is so delicious together. Enjoy!
- 1/2 lb. Circle B Ranch breakfast pork sausage
- 3 Tbs. pure maple syrup
- 4–1/2 oz. (1 cup) fine cornmeal
- 4–1/4 oz. (1 cup) all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbs. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 cups well-shaken buttermilk, at room temperature
- 4 oz. (8 Tbs.) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled, plus 1 Tbs. butter for the pan
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- Position a rack in the center of the oven, and heat the oven to 400°F. Put a 10-inch cast-iron pan in the oven.
- Lightly coat a medium skillet with cooking spray. Add the sausage, (take the sausage out of the casing) and cook over medium-high heat, stirring and breaking up the sausage, until brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain and discard the fat, and then stir in the maple syrup.
- In a large bowl, whisk the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk the buttermilk, melted butter, and egg.
- Form a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and pour in the wet ingredients. Stir with a silicone spatula until just combined. Stir in the sausage.
- Carefully remove the skillet from the oven, and add the 1 Tbs. butter. Swirl the skillet to coat the pan all over. Pour the batter into the pan, and return the pan to the oven. Bake until lightly browned on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.