When I get home from a long day on the road, I love making a recipe that is stick-to your-bones delicious. I add the red wine to give the chili more depth of flavor. Using homemade chicken stock also gives the chili a really good flavor.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 3–4 Circle B Ranch Sweet Italian sausages, casings removed
- 1/2 cup of Red Wine
- 1.5 jars of Marina’s Tomato Sauce
- 2–3 cups of homemade chicken stock
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini (white kidney beans), rinsed and drained
- 1½ C chopped fresh basil, reserve ½ C for garnish
- ¼ tsp dried crushed red pepper
- 1 6-ounce bag baby spinach leaves
- ⅓ cup grated Romano cheese
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté 6 minutes.
- Add beef and sausage and sauté until brown, breaking up meats with back of a wooden spoon, about 5 minutes.
- Add the wine and cook until evaporated
- Add tomato sauce, broth, beans, 1 cup basil, oregano, and dried crushed red pepper.
- Simmer 15 minutes to blend flavors, stirring occasionally.
- Add spinach and cook just until wilted, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes.
- If you would like the spinach to remain uncooked, then add a layer of it to your serving bowls, then ladle the ragout over it.
- Mix in ⅓ cup cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with cheese and basil.
- Serving Size: 12