In case you haven’t noticed, we love eggplant in the Backes household. We like it fried, with parmesan, grilled and of course, stuffed. This recipe is easy, quick and delicious. Enjoy!
- 2 medium eggplants (6 in. length), cut in ½ lengthwise
- ½ Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ lb. Circle B Ranch Sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups Marina’s Italian Style Tomato Sauce or more if needed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup Mozzarella, shredded
- ¼ cup Parmesan, grated
- Basil for garnish
- Scoop the middle of the eggplant out; leave about ½ inch around the sides. Chop and reserve the scooped-out eggplant.
- Cook the sausage and onion in a pan over medium heat, breaking up the sausage as you go, for approximately 10 minutes or until sausage is cooked.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the chopped reserved eggplant and cook until tender, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of Marina’s Italian Style Tomato Sauce, season with salt and pepper to taste and cook to heat, about 3-5 minutes, before removing from heat.
- Spread the remaining Tomato Sauce over the bottom of a baking dish. Place the eggplant shells in with the fleshy hollowed out sides up, fill them with the sauce, top with the cheeses, and bake in a preheated oven at 400°F. Bake until cheese has melted and sauce is bubbling, about 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with fresh basil.
- Make scooping out the eggplant easier by cutting crosshatches and ¼ inch around the outside before scooping.
- If eggplant shells will not stand upright, cut a small slice from the bottom to create a small flat area to help stabilize them.
- You can skip pre-baking the eggplant shells if you fill the raw eggplant with the sauce, cover it with foil, and bake it at 350°F. Bake until the shells are tender and cheeses are melted; baking time increases to 40-50 minutes.
- Omit the sausage for a vegetarian version of the dish.
- Serving Size: 4