We like eggplant so much in our house that I actually made this miso glazed eggplant two different ways. Enjoy!
- One 1/4-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup white miso
- ½ tsp. hot red-pepper sauce such as Sriracha
- 2 Tbs. rice vinegar
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 Tbs. mirin
- 1 Tbs. water
- 4 Asian eggplants, cut in half lengthwise
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper for sprinkling
- Canola oil for brushing
- 3 green onions, cut on the diagonal into ¼-inch slices
- In a blender, combine the ginger, garlic, miso, pepper sauce, vinegar, sugar, mirin and water. Blend to form a smooth puree.
- Sprinkle the eggplant halves lightly with salt and pepper and lightly brush all over with oil.
- About 15 minutes before you plan to serve the eggplant, prepare a medium-hot fire in a grill.
- Place the eggplant halves, cut side down, on the grill; cover the grill and cook until the flesh just starts to char and soften, 6 to 8 minutes. Turn the eggplant over and cook, covered, until just tender, about 3 to 4 minutes more. Brush the cut sides of the eggplant with the miso mixture and cook, covered, until the eggplant is tender and the glaze has browned in spots, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer the eggplant to a warmed serving platter, sprinkle with the sliced green onions and serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 4