My family likes to cook different types of meals. Chicken and pork are the two favorite meats in our family, and I am always looking for chicken recipes that can be put together and cooked for a long time. When I read this recipe, I knew that I had to try it. Raisins, dried apricots and such delicious spices, how could I resist?
This recipe definitely takes a bit to prepare, but once it is in the slow cooker there is nothing to do but wait for the deliciousness!
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 large onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 lbs skinless chicken pieces
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, coarsely chopped
- 14 ounces of Homemade chicken broth or 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ground black pepper
- hot cooked couscous (whole wheat preferred)
- pine nuts, toasted
- fresh cilantro (optional)
- Place carrots and onions in a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker
- Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Add to cooker; top chicken with raisins and apricots.
- In bowl, whisk broth, tomato paste, flour, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, ginger, cinnamon and the ground black pepper.
- Add to cooker.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 6-1/2 to 7 hours (or on high-heat setting for 3-1/2 to 4 hours).
- Serve in bowls with couscous.
- Sprinkle with nuts.
- Garnish with cilantro. Serves 4.