Lentils are very healthy. They are high in protein and fiber and low in fat. My family loves them in soup, so when I saw this recipe for a salad I thought I would try it. This came out delicious and it is a great side dish for pork, steak or chicken.
For The Dressing
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil
- ¼ Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 2 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin
- ½ Teaspoon Turmeric
- ½ Teaspoon Coriander
- Pinch Cayenne
- Pinch Cloves
- Pinch Nutmeg
- ½ Teaspoon Cinnamon
For The Salad
- 1 Package Lentils
- 1 Big Red Onion or 2 Medium Yellow Onions (I Used Red), Finely Chopped
- 1 Cup Finely Chopped Dried Apricots
- 1 Big Red/Yellow/Orange Bell Pepper, Finely Chopped
- 1 Carrot, Finely Chopped
- Prepare your lentils per the package directions. Be sure to not overcook them. You do not want them to be mushy.
- This would be a good time to prepare you dressing, Whisk together the oil, apple cider vinegar, and mustard. Add your choice of maple syrup or honey.
- In a small sealable container, measure out your spices and then add the dressing. Shake vigorously.
- Chop the onions, peppers, carrots and apricots and add them to the cooked lentils.
- Add the dressing and mix well. Mix until the dressing has coated the cooked lentils.
- Let cool completely before serving.
- This was even better the next day after the flavors were able to marry in the refrigerator!