I almost always make an apple pie, but when I saw this recipe I thought I should give it a try. If you’re looking for a fresh alternative to your usual apple pie, this dessert delivers! Serve the slices warm with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream and enjoy a sweet taste of fall.
- Store bought pie dough
- 5 Tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped almonds
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 10 oz, jar Marina’s Cranberry Chutney
- 4 large (about 8 oz. each) firm ripe pears, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Prepare the streusel: Stir together brown sugar, butter, and salt in a bowl. Stir in flour, almonds, and ginger until evenly blended. Set aside.
- Fold pears, cornstarch, cinnamon, and nutmeg into cranberry chutney.
- Assemble pie: Unwrap dough, and roll out on a lightly floured surface into a 13-inch circle. Fit into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate. Fold edges under. Use a small spoon to create a pattern around edges. Freeze 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spoon filling into prepared pie plate. Crumble streusel in small and large pieces over filling. Bake on the lowest oven rack until top is golden brown and crust is golden (shielding edges, if needed, after 20 minutes), 40 to 45 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack, 2 hours, before serving.