Since I came out with Marina’s Pear Ginger Chutney, I have been looking for desserts that would complement it. When I saw this recipe, I knew that it would be delicious. Enjoy!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more to grease pan
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 ¼ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. fine sea salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. grated nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. ground clove
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 4 large pears (2 ¼ lbs.), peeled, cored and shredded or finely chopped (to yield 2 ½ cups)
- 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cups rolled oats
- Heat oven to 350°. Grease a 9×2-inch square or 9-inch round pan and line bottom with parchment paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar, baking powder, salt, vanilla, nutmeg, cloves and baking soda and beat for 1 minute. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- With the mixer on low, beat in half the pears, and then beat in the flour until smooth. Beat in remaining pears, then the oats, beating until well incorporated. Beat in nuts.
- Spread batter in the prepared pan and bake until the top springs back when lightly pressed in the center of the cake, 40-50 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve topped with Marina’s Pear Ginger Chutney. Enjoy!