The spring and summer are the best times to make this recipe. Delicious asparagus and garden fresh tomatoes. Enjoy!
- 8 oz. penne pasta
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ lbs. thin asparagus, trimmed & cut into 1-inch pieces
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups (about 9 oz.) cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup shelled fresh peas
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil leaves
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8-10 minutes. Drain the pasta, reserving about ½ cup of the pasta water.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the asparagus, season with the salt and pepper, and cook about 3 minutes until slightly soft. Add the cherry tomatoes and peas. Cook for 2 minutes. Pour the chicken stock into the pan and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cook until the tomatoes start to burst and the stock is reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer the asparagus mixture to a large serving bowl. Add the cooked pasta and ½ of the Parmesan. Toss well, adding reserved pasta water, if needed, to loosen the pasta. Garnish with the remaining Parmesan and chopped basil.