I have been making this recipe for a couple of years. You may already know that I really like Bobby Flay, and of course his Pickled Red Onion Recipe is great. We like hamburgers topped with pickled onions, or we like to serve them with Pork Cutlets!
- 2 large red onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- Place the vinegar, 1/4 cup of olive oil, sugar, peppercorns and thyme in a large noncorrosive saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add the onions to the hot liquid and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and allow the onions to steep for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Put in a ball jar and put in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours. When ready to serve, drain the liquid and top with thyme.