My family loves cornbread. I love the idea of adding pumpkin to this recipe. It makes it light and really delicious. It’s like a cornbread dessert. Pair it with some Cranberry Chutney and honey to make it super sweet!
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon pure cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and divided
- 1 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons honey, warmed (plus extra for drizzling)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place three 5 inch cast iron skillets or one 8 inch cast iron skillet (nonstick is fine, too) into the oven.
- Place first 6 ingredients into a small mixing bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl whisk together eggs, 1/4 cup butter, buttermilk, and honey.
- Pour wet mixture into dry mixture and stir until well mixed. Fold in pumpkin mixture.
- Pour remaining butter into heated skillets and carefully swirl to cover all sides.
- Pour batter into baking dish and bake for 30 to 35 minutes (for the small skillets) or 50 to 55 minutes (for the large skillet) or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center.
- Remove from oven and drizzle with with a small amount of honey. Cool for 10 to 15 minutes. Serve.