So, what is ratatouille anyway? It’s basically a stew made with vegetables and tomato sauce. In the summer, you can use fresh garden tomatoes. This recipe is great because you can have it hot one night, and serve it with Circle B Ranch Italian Sausage the next.
- 1/4 cup of olive oil, plus more as needed
- 1 1/2 cups small diced yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups medium sliced eggplant with skin on
- 1 cup diced red bell peppers
- 1 cup diced yellow peppers
- 1 cup thinly sliced zucchini squash
- 1 cup thinly sliced yellow squash
- 12 oz of Marina’s Tomato Sauce
- 2 Sweet Italian Sausage
- 2 Hot Italian Sausage
- Bunch of Basil leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Set a large 12 inch saute pan over medium heat and add the olive oil. Once hot, add the onions and the garlic. Cook the onions and the garlic, stirring occasionally, until they are wilted and lightly caramelized.
- Add the eggplant to the pan and continue to cook until the eggplant is partially cooked, about 5 minutes. Add the peppers, zucchini and yellow squash and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the 12 oz of Marina’s Tomato Sauce and basil, salt and pepper and cook for the final 5 minutes.
- Stir well to blend and serve hot or at room temperature.
- We had the ratatouille with steak one night, and the next night I served it with Sweet and Hot Sausage.